It’s not something you hear much of Down Under and definitely not something I’d normally talk about on the blog but it’s something I believe all us Aussie girls should be thinking about. And that’s Period cups!
I think it’s about time that we looked after our bodies and the environment. Don’t you?
If you haven’t heard of period cups before they are a healthy alternative to tampons which collect blood rather than absorb it and can be washed and reused.
Like most girls I always struggled with that time of month. It pissed me off to be honest. It was annoying, expensive, uncomfortable and often made me feel like being a girl wasn’t that great. Until I discovered the Hello Cup!
I had seen a few reviews online and a some YouTube videos talking about the great benefits of period cups and thought that maybe just maybe this could work for me too. At first I thought they looked strange and that it seemed kind of disgusting but that was before I knew what they were all about. I’d never seen one before in real life as they aren’t easy to find in store in Aus but after doing some research I came across the New Zealand made ‘Hello Cup’ which ships worldwide and I knew straight away this was the one.
Not only were their cups super cute (they come in a variety of coulours and sizes) but the website was very informative and made me laugh with all their funny terms. Take a look and you’ll see what I mean! The customer service was fantastic they were always quick to reply to any queries and were always super supportive and encouraging.
For the first time in forever I was actually kind of excited for that time of month and after reading up on the ‘Hello Cup’ I had worked myself up to try it out and convert to the cup life for good. It definitely wasn’t smooth sailing but after mastering the punch down fold, getting my cup size right and learning how to remove it correctly I think I kind of got it!
I know it may not be for everyone but if just one person comes away from this with the intention of giving ‘The Hello Cup’ a go then my job is done!
Visit thehellocup.com for more info!
If your still not convinced here’s…
15 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD SWITCH TO THE HELLO CUP!
1. No nasty plastic wrappers! The Hello cup comes in a beautiful box and handy cloth storage bag. Did you know that in Australia women can use up 10,000 disposable menstrual products in their lifetime!
2. They come in 3 sizes. XS – suitable for teens or those who prefer a mini tampon, S/M – great for women under 35 and L – suitable for those who have had kids or have laidback muscles. They are also available in a double pack of you are wanting to try 2 sizes.
3. They will save you lots of money and will pay for themselves after 2/3 periods. On average Australian women can spend $3,300 on pads and tampons in their lifetime.
4. They collect blood rather than absorb it so they won’t cause dryness or create bad odours.
5. Compared to tampons they hold around 3 times more. Meaning you won’t have to change/empty it as often. Especially on your lighter days.
6. They can be left in for up to 12 hours which means you can sleep with it.
7. They are designed to be smooth and comfortable to wear. The specially designed toggle and easy grip rings make removal easy.
8. They are fully recyclable at the end of their life. Unlike pads and tampons of which more than 7 billion end up in landfill around the world each year.
9. Many women have said that The Hello Cup has helped to reduce cramps. It hasn’t been proven but some say the pressure against the vaginal walls may be what helps.
10. Made from medical grade TPE (thermoplastic elastomer) they are free of latex, silicone, perfumes, bleaches and other nasties.
11. One period cup can last up to 5 years. They are made to be reusable and if you look after them and wash them regularly they will last many years.
12. Swimming is totally on the cards! You won’t have to worry about that sneaky little string falling out of your bikini at the beach either!
13. Women with IUD’s are also able to use The Hello Cup. It is recommended to get your doctor to trim the strings and take extra care to break the suction when removing.
14. They are hypoallergenic so are suitable for women with sensitive skin, dermatitis and latex allergies.
15. They’re easy to clean and disinfect. Simply soak in a glass of water with a sterilising tablet for 15 minutes or boil in a pot for 3 minutes.
If you’ve made it this far through my blog post I’d like to thank you! and while I’m thanking people, I’d love to thank ‘The Hello Cup’ for changing my life for the better!
– LOVE LOLA.
* Products featured in this post were kindly gifted for editorial consideration. All views and opinions are 100% honest and my own.